Laura Carter's Summer Reads
The first step to becoming a writer is to be an avid reader. As well as reading books you know you will love, you need to read in the genre/market you intend to publish, to understand what works and what doesn’t. You should also read widely because you never know where you will find inspiration for your next story. I follow this advice but I confess, for me, there is nothing better than reading a sweet romance, a laugh-out-loud comedy or a good women’s fiction book on a sun lounger with a cocktail in hand. So, in no particular order, here are my top five recommended reads this summer…
(click the images to buy)
1. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. This book will make you smile and leave you feeling thankful for the genuinely good people in your life.
My recommended sun lounger tipple: elderflower and ginger beer virgin cocktail (you’ll find out why).
2. Miss You by Kate Eberlen. A gorgeous story of a couple who just don’t seem able to be in the right place at the right time. But they are so perfect for each other!
Summer drink suggestion: a mango daiquiri because it’s as sweet as this read.
3. This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. Surprisingly, the book that has made me laugh-out-loud the most this year has been Adam Kay’s secret diaries of a junior doctor (non-fiction). Look out for people staring at you by the pool when you can’t stop giggling!
Tipple: it has to be a cold beer.
4. Hollywood Husbands by Jackie Collins. No beach holiday would be complete without the heat of a classic Jackie Collins novel and Hollywood Husbands is the ultimate!
Drink: a flirty cosmopolitan.
5. Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes. One of my favourite women’s fiction books. Marian Keyes writes the best feel-good and fun books. Fall in love over sushi? Okay, then.
The perfect drink to match this book would have to be sake, or if you don't like it (I find it an acquired taste!), an Asian inspired gin and lychee cocktail.
If you are thinking of getting to know my books, my perfect summer read is Hedging His Bets. Let the cast of the Brits in Manhattan series whisk you away for sun, sand and sea in the Hamptons!
Let me know what you make of the books. You can find me here:
#recommendedreads #summerreads #summermustread #romance #womensfiction #AdamKay #KateEberlen #MarianKeyes #GailHoneyman #MissYou #EleanorOliphantisCompletelyFine #HollywoodHusbands #Sexyromanticcomedy #ThisisGoingtoHurt #JackieCollins #Comedy #beachreads