PLAYING TO WIN
by Laura Carter
PLAYING TO WIN released on 20 February 2018. The book follows heartthrob, Brooks Adams, as he falls into an unlikely and H.O.T. romance with Izzy Coulthard.
Now a successful Manhattan gym owner, Brooks came from not much at all, knocked up his childhood sweetheart at 16 and has spent his life trying to prove himself worthy of her love.
Izzy Coulthard is his exact opposite. She has had life handed to her on a silver platter and never had to fight for what she wants. Finally, she thinks she might know what that is.
READ THE BLURB
A high-intensity personal trainer
The secret to Brooks’ success as a Manhattan gym owner? Being motivated to disprove everyone who doubted him long ago. He’s not about to let a perky newcomer like Izzy tarnish his reputation. Even if watching her lead a salsa class on his premises is fuel for some very unprofessional fantasies…
His beautiful British rival
Every time Izzy slams Brooks in her fitness blog, her book sales soar. But when their escalating media feud forces them to be up-close-and-personal for two weeks, she realizes there’s much more to Brooks than that incredible body.
And a competition that’s got their hearts racing…
Soon Izzy and Brooks are finding all kinds of creative ways to work up a sweat. A passionate workout is easy, but can their rivalry give way to a lasting partnership?
I had so much fun writing PLAYING TO WIN. The conflict between the characters and the constant banter/jibing was refreshing to write. It’s hilarious how much these characters loathe each other! There were also lots of elements of the characters that I enjoyed playing around with, such as their joint passion for music, their love of black and white movies, and their obsession with health and fitness. All of this led to a very varied playlist for the book and I thought you’d like to see some of the songs that inspired my writing.
1. There are two Blake Shelton tracks that sum up Brooks’s life before Izzy perfectly. He was stuck in the past, still in love with the idea of a life with his childhood sweetheart that was snatched from him.
“Came Here to Forget” and “Every Time I Hear That Song” by Blake Shelton
2. Because Brooks loves to play a little Elvis…
“A Little Less Conversation” by Elvis Presley
3. And because Izzy thinks Brooks is a complete HOUND DOG (she tells the world as much on her blog!)
“Hound Dog” by Elvis Presley
4. One of the breakthrough moments in Brooks and Izzy’s relationship is when they discover how much they both enjoy music. When Brooks plays this song on his guitar, it makes Izzy finally let her hair down!
“Hey Porter” by Johnny Cash
5. Fire and Ice perfectly describes the relationship between Brooks and Izzy. One minute they hate each other and the next they are working up a sweat between the sheets.
“Fire and Ice” by Ellie Goulding
6. There is a scene in the book (you’ll remember the one) where Izzy tries to catch Brooks cheating at their competition. Instead, she ends up rediscovering something she loved as a child - figure skating. I listened to this song on repeat as Izzy laughed and smiled her way around an ice rink.
“Defying Gravity” from the musical Wicked
7. This song is from one of my favourite scenes in the book, and the night Brooks and Izzy finally seal the deal! Izzy is letting Brooks know just what she thinks of his recent antics as she sings this song to him in a grungy Manhattan karaoke bar.
“Just Like Jesse James” by Cher
I hope this gives you a little insight into my thoughts and feelings as I wrote Brooks and Izzy’s story.
If you haven’t read PLAYING TO WIN yet, grab your copy here:
Let me know what you think of the book and my soundtrack choices. Swing by my social media…
Add on Goodreads
Go back to the beginning!
PLAYING TO WIN
is the second standalone novel in my romantic comedy series,
BRITS IN MANHATTAN.
Go back to where it all began. Read
BALANCING THE SCALES
Pre-order the next standalone in the
BRITS IN MANHATTAN SERIES
Meet Jake and Jess in
HEDGING HIS BETS
out 22 May 2018
is the third standalone novel in my romantic comedy series,